Skin:United - Join our movement to be happy in your skin. It's what you deserve.
Hello and welcome
Everyone deserves to be happy in their skin but, here at Skin:Genius, we speak to many people whose skin condition has caused them social and mental health problems.
At the beginning of this year and in the space of a week, I finished a case study with 15- year-old Aimee who'd been suffering with acne since the age of 11 and had struggled massively through lockdown by having to be on-line for school. I also took several calls from mums, a couple of dads and even a grandad all desperate to support their family members. It made me feel incredibly sad. Understanding first-hand how skin problems can make you feel, I knew we had to do something to help. I know from feedback that Skin:Genius literally changes peoples lives - just like it did for Aimee whose story you can read here.
Convinced by the power of collaboration and value of sharing experience and advice, we've now launched Skin:United to provide people with the support they need to manage their skin condition and cope with the social pressures that come with that. By bringing together trusted experts and people with first-hand experience of bullying and living with problem skin, we can raise awareness, offer practical help and provide a safe place for people to go and talk.
Our first in-person Skin:United event was an instant success. We all learned something new and were inspired by others.
The live audience enjoyed the chance to hear the following expert panel and ask their questions. They also had time to network and catch the speakers for some one-to-one discussions.
- Dr Ellie Cannon - GP, broadcaster and health writer
- Scott McGlynn - actor, TV presenter and anti-bullying campaigner who has faced bullying due to his skin condition
- Nicola Bonn - beauty expert, radio presenter and podcaster who has learned to manage anxiety
- Sallie Berkerey - Managing Director of CEW, Cosmetic Executive Women, Beauty Industry Organisation
- Julia Vearncombe - Co-Founder of Skin:Genius and Beautician, Hairdresser
Understanding the importance of raising awareness among those suffering with skin conditions and acknowledging how they feel, the Skin:Genius Skin:United campaign is also proud to be in partnership with CEW and The Anti-Bullying Alliance for the Skin:United Campaign.
“One of the best things people can do when faced by a problem is to speak up but sometimes it can be hard to know where to turn and who to talk to,” says Dr Ellie Cannon. “Skin:United is a great idea as it gives people a platform to share their worries and ask questions in the company of others who are going through a similar experience. Sharing real-life stories and hearing tips from others who truly understand how you feel will bring encouragement and hope. I’m honoured to be on the Skin:United panel alongside the other experts and look forward to helping as many people as we can on the evening."
Skin conditions are a primary cause of bullying, especially among young adults here in the UK. According to the Anti-Bullying Alliance charity:
- 21% of young people have been bullied in the past year
- 55% of young people are bullied about the way they look
- ONLY 25% of people want to be friends with someone with a visible difference
- 95% of people between the ages of 11- 30 suffer with some form of acne (Source: NHS)
- Over 1.3 million people suffer with eczema and 1 in 50 people suffer with psoriasis (Source: British Skin Foundation)
- It’s reported that 1 in 10 people have Rosacea https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-60487031
- Over half of those with skin conditions feel judged by others (Source: British Skin Foundation)
This is why here at Skin:Genius it’s in our bones to carry on and continue to develop skincare for people suffering with skin conditions. We want you to feel good about yourself, it’s what you deserve. Skin:United is just the beginning and we will continue to add and update information on this page, so keep checking back for more detail.
Want to get involved?
Here's how to join us and show your support;
- Download this Skin:United Badge
- Add to your socials and tell people you are supporting FaceUp2It - Be sure to tag us
- Offer this link for those who would benefit from support and can find helpful information https://skin-genius.co.uk/pages/faceup2it-1
We would love to hear from you. Your story, questions, ideas on how we can help as many people as possible are most welcome.
Join our movement to be happy in your skin: it’s what you deserve.
Results Achieved when using Skin:Genius
In Partnership with: